We are a 501(c)3 not-for-profit established in 1979; we were the first and remain the only county-wide animal welfare agency. Our goal is to eliminate the number of abused and abandoned pets through spay/neuter, education, rescue and adoption.
Volunteers are fundamental to our success. If you’ve got an hour or ½ day to spend with us, we’ve got an opportunity for you. Click here to email our Volunteer Coordinator or call the BARC! Office at 251.928.4585
- Office Volunteers
- Customer Service volunteers are needed at the Baldwin County Humane Society (BARC!), a no-kill adoption agency (rather than a shelter). The office is open Monday thru Friday and is located at 22886-C US Hwy 98 in Fairhope (north of Publix and south of Rock Creek subdivision). Volunteers chose from morning shift (9am to 12:30pm) or afternoon shift (12:30pm to 4:00pm). Duties involve some computer work but mainly greeting customers and answering the phone and occasional special clerical projects.
- Pet Adoptions
- We have regular adoption events and need volunteers to assist interested adopters to meet our available cats and dogs.
- Pet Therapy
- Since 1993 our team of handlers have taken their trained dogs — and cats! — to nursing homes and assisted living facilities to interact with the residents. Click here for details.
- Dog walkers needed various days/times at kennels
- Cat Socialization
- Media Volunteers
- We need photographers at special events. You will be given full credit for pix published in press releases, on our website & social networking sites.